Share Your News with the Whittier Daily News
WHAT TO SEND?
- Local stories — people, places and events — that are unique to the Whittier area.
- Club news about meetings, activities, special events and election of officers sponsored by civic, service, fraternal and social organizations.
- Business news of new enterprises in town, promotions, news employees, changes in hours, services and products.
- Church news and news of related organizations.
- School news of student activities, parent-teacher group meetings, school concerts, plays and other events like college honors, graduations, athletics and plays.
- Sports news about games, team registrations, tournaments and other activities.
- Programs at parks and libraries, along with other facilities available to the public.
- Entertainment venues, special events, family activities and other amusements.
WRITING A NEWS RELEASE
- All news releases should contain the organization’s name and address, along with the name and daytime phone number of the individual to be contacted in case more information is needed.
- Consider sending an electronic press release via email. Paste the text into the message field rather than sending an attachment that may not be compatible with the programs in use at the Daily News.
- Be concise. News releases, as a rule, should not be longer than 1½ pages, double-spaced.
- Be aware of submission deadlines. Most publications like material at least two weeks before the event. It can never get there too early.
When speed is of the essence, contact our city desk at 626-567-7543. Other press releases should be e-mailed to email@example.com. If requesting coverage of an event, be sure to contact us at least a week in advance.
For news story consideration, please send information at least two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have a news tip but prefer to stay anonymous? Use this form to send us your news tip.
Our Spotlight section includes an entertainment events calendar every Friday. To submit a calendar listing for possible inclusion, please include information about the event, time, date, ticket price, exact address, a phone number for the public to call for more information and a website (if any). Send to email@example.com or Features, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, 1210 N. Azusa Canyon Road, West Covina, CA. 91790. Deadline for entertainment listing items is two weeks in advance or publication.
Do you have a special speaker or community event at your church? Religion events run on Fridays and should be submitted a week in advance. Email event details to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “For Observing the Faiths.”
Entertainment and FEATURES
To suggest features coverage, including healthy lifestyle, food, theater, fine arts, or general entertainment stories, please email email@example.com. If the information is related to a specific event, please contact us at least two weeks in advance.
Do you have photos from a community event? Or is there an upcoming event you’d like to see covered visually? Send the details our way. For event coverage, let us know at least two weeks in advance and keep in mind we’re looking for photo opportunities that are not set up just for us. Action is the key. A good rule of thumb: the best pictures are of people involved with activities or one another, not looking at the camera.
Email event details or digital images to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage coaches to send us varsity game results only. Deadline for the high school game results is 10:30 p.m. on the day of the event, but earlier calls are appreciated. E-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 626-544-0992 or 626-544-0991 to report scores.
Our Business section includes announcements of new businesses and products; deals, mergers and transactions; changes to existing companies; promotions, new hirings and retirements. Business news items must be received at least one week before publication. Announcements may be faxed to business editor Kevin Smith at 626-544-0810 or e-mailed email@example.com. For business news tips and story ideas, please call Kevin at 626-544-0810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO SUBMIT A GUEST COMMENTARY
Los Angeles News Group newspapers consider guest commentary submissions of no more than 600 words.
We look for topical commentary on public policy and social issues that are of general interest to our print and digital readership. We give preference to local, regional and California topics and writers.
The commentary must be the author’s original work. We do not pay for guest commentaries.
Submissions are subject to editing, though we make every effort to retain the author’s voice and point of view. Email your submission to email@example.com with the subject line “Op-ed submission.” Include a sentence or two at the end including your position, city or community of residence, and any background relevant to your expertise in the topic.
HOW TO SUBMIT A LETTER TO THE EDITOR
We welcome letters to the editor on all issues of public concern. All submissions are subject to editing and condensation, and they can be published only with the writer’s true name. Letters must include the writer’s home community and a daytime phone number for confirmation. Please limit submissions to 150 words and send via email (without attachments) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMMENTING ON A STORY
We invite you to use our commenting platform to engage in insightful conversations about issues in our community. Although we do not pre-screen comments, we reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us, and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.
If you see comments that you find offensive, please use the “Flag as Inappropriate” feature by hovering over the right side of the post, and pulling down on the arrow that appears. Or, contact our editors by emailing email@example.com.
To report an error in our coverage, call 562-567-7543 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Whittier Daily News offers a paid obituary service in the newspaper and on our websites. To place an obituary, use our online form, call 626-544-0889, email email@example.com or send a fax to 626-856-2756.
For help in writing the obituary, please see our online guide to writing an obituary.